A(nother) change of plan

I’ve been working on a quilt for my parents off and on for a while now (more off than on, if truth be told). Sometimes it’s been because I’ve been busy with other things but also because I wasn’t completely sold on what I was doing, for various reasons. I think I know what they are now. I’ll go right back to the start and explain how things started out and what I was originally planning to do. I’ve wanted to make a quilt for my parents for quite a while now. My mother taught me to sew when I was very small – I still have the first thing I remember sewing when I was about four years old. Later on, my mother let me use her Elna sewing machine before buying me my own Elna when I graduated. Both parents have always appreciated the quilts that I’ve made, so when I realised they had a significant wedding anniversary coming up last year, I thought I’d make them a quilt. I missed the deadline, but the idea had taken root.

Quilting my first quilt with my Elna

One of the few things I haven’t changed is the layout, which grew out of a doodle during a train journey. The first quilt I ever started was Oh, Fransson’s Mod Sampler Quilt, which uses six block layouts. My favourites were the two log cabin blocks, which I really like the look of and also enjoy making. Most of my quilts seem to have involved sashing separating all the blocks. This time the plan is for something different – the blocks touch at their corners but are all separated by negative space.

My favourite block from my Mod Sampler Quilt

I’d seen the Kona Poseidon colourstory on Rachel Griffith’s flickr in the Kona Cottons flickr group and was entranced. I initially thought I’d make all the blocks out of solids but then I changed my mind and decided to go for solid and monochrome print pairs.

By this time, I was straying a little from my original Poseidon colour story. As I was flicking through the Fresh Modern Quilts group I saw this beauty by Hi.C. Hi.C’s Sea Glass quilt is gorgeous and captures the mood I was after, which has inspired me to return to the original colourscheme and ditch the yellow (but I’m not ruling out it reappearing). I’m almost ready to ditch the log cabins in favour of a more choppy, improv and solid scheme (again!), but I have a cunning plan – I’m going to make a quilt with two tops. One side will be the original log cabin layout (using prints) and the other is going to be improv-pieced (using only solids). As the log cabins I’ve been making recently are ‘floating’ on the print fabric and therefore take a while to line up I think this project is going to be a long one – but I think it’ll be worth it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Friends and Family, Sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s